Pages

Friday, September 21, 2012

End Of Watch

I love movies. I watch movies more than I watch TV, and even when the TV is on, I’m usually on one of the movie channels. I love seeing new movies in theaters, but lately I’ve been too busy to keep up with what’s been released recently. Quite frankly, I couldn’t even name three or four titles in theaters right now.

When I first saw a preview for End of Watch and saw Jake Gyllenhaal on a late night talk show promoting the film, I had no desire to see it. If you haven’t seen the preview for the movie, check it out here:



So maybe it’s the fact the movie is about cops. Maybe it’s the fact that it deals with drug cartels and gangs in South Central. Maybe it’s the fact that I thought the humor was going to be forced or out of place in an action movie. Whatever the case may be, I just didn’t see myself spending money to see this movie. It just didn’t seem like my kind of movie.

I met up with a friend from work tonight, however, and we decided to see what was playing at the theater. The lineup was pretty sad. I either didn’t recognize some of the titles, or I just didn’t want to see them at all. I mean, when it’s between Finding Nemo 3D, Trouble With the Curve, The House at the End of the Street, and The Possession, options look a little grim. But my friend suggested End of Watch, so I just rolled with it. On a side note, this is the first time I’ve gone to a theater since the July 20th shooting in my hometown. Just kind of a weird afterthought to me.

On another side note, I love movie previews. I did see a trailer for the new Silent Hill: Revelation movie coming out soon, and I’m stoked.

When the movie started, I didn’t realize the whole thing would be in a documentary format, which makes the first-person point of view a little different than most films. I was a little skeptical when some of the gang members started talking; as weird as it sounds, they were talking a little too “hood” for me. I just want to know if they really sound like that or if it was as forced as it seemed to me. Whatever the case, the whole film, even from the gang’s vantage point, is seen through a first-person camera lens.

The humor wasn’t as faked as I thought it would be. The entire movie is full of quips between the two main characters, police partners Brian Taylor and Mike Zavala, and it really serves to strengthen the bond and sense of brotherhood between both the two cops, and the rest of their police force. I was almost immediately sucked in.

To me, the humor also served to exemplify the severity of the situations that follow. The two cops get interesting calls, and though I believe most were unrelated, they were astounding. It’s hard to believe that stuff like that actually happens, but the sad truth is that the events could, and probably do, take place in real life. I commend officers who can deal with the situations presented.

And then shit gets real. Shit gets real, very fast. I sat on the edge of my seat for about the last quarter of the movie, mouth likely agape, but who knows? I wasn’t paying attention to my facial expression. At least, until I started to feel myself tear up.

It is very rare that I find a movie that can actually make me cry. Like legitimately tears-down-the-cheeks, sniffly-nose cry. This movie came closer than any movie has in a long, long time. And that impresses me.
The only bad thing about this blog is I don’t want to say too much for fear of giving something away. Instead, I urge people to go see it, even if it’s not your particular cup of tea. It may shock you. I feel like this movie was extremely well-made, and highly recommend it to anyone. I might even go see it again, but I know this time around, I probably will legit cry.

http://movieline.com/2012/05/03/end-of-watch-trailer-everyone-wants-to-kill-jake-gyllenhaal-and-michael-pea/
end_of_watch630

Seen any good movies lately? Seen any that make you cry everytime?

No comments:

Post a Comment