Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Increasing my own net worth

I’ve often been asked about my thoughts on tattoos, especially since my newest one is more visible than my others. It’s really a subject I could go on and on about, and will probably blog about more than once. But a customer at work recently asked me how much money I’ve put into my tattoos. I guess I hadn’t really thought about it…until now.

I only have three right now. I never meant to get any tattoos that were of substantial size, but it just happened that way. And you can count on me getting more; I mean, I already have the idea in my mind about my next two and my latest one isn’t even finished yet. They truly are addictive. Let’s add up the total here:


398442_293982773996668_2066994159_n
My first tattoo: roses and “et ducit mundum per ars” on my side. 6 hours total, $350

432363_293983070663305_547842743_n
My second, on my hip: about 2 hours, $250

599463_391115650950046_385187958_n
My third, a garter with a pistol and two roses all the way around my right thigh. Not yet completed, but what is done already: about 6 hours, $460

376236_388083421253269_1187078608_n
Ok, this one’s not real. It’s only henna. $20.

That makes $1080, not even including tipping my tattoo artists. I have put over a grand into body art, and that’s just what I have for now. And that never really occurred to me.

When I tell people that, they look at me like I’m crazy. I mean, that’s a large chunk of change that could be put towards more important things, like rent or groceries or college tuition. Things I need. But it’s never been a waste to me. It never will be. Art is probably the thing in life that I’m most passionate about, and it always has been. People spend small fortunes on artwork to decorate their house with, and they don’t even get to carry it around with them all the time. I do.

In my eyes, I’m worth a lot more than I used to be. Whoever decides they want to kidnap me can now currently ask for $1080 more than they could before. So you can scoff at my tattoos or the money I’ve put into them, but I just consider it raising my net worth.

I have my reasons for getting my tattoos. And to me, getting a great tattoo is worth they money you pay for it. This is the first time I’ve ever really sat down and realized the price tag on my body art. I look at that number, and it’s shocking at first. But I don’t regret it at all.

How much money have you spent on tattoos? Do you have a limit? Is it worth it?

1 comment:

  1. Alright, well...I love tattoos. I don't have any, although I'm sure eventually I will. Right now paying for school and food and shelter has to be the priority. I guess when it comes to tattoos, I think they can be so beautiful and creative and interesting - I guess they're just low on my personal priority list below things like getting out of debt and saving to have children. But if I WAS going to get a tattoo, I would rather spend more and have it done right. I think yours are gorgeous. I'm always jealous when I see a woman with a beautiful sleeve, too. Maybe someday when I have tenure at a university and no one can fire me! :)

    ReplyDelete